Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Review: Bude Surfing Experience

On my fantastic two-week camping holiday we stopped off in Bude for a bit of UK Surf action. The welcome from Scott and Mike was warm, friendly and energetic. Being a family of four was no problem, and they were even able to accommodate our little 5 year old. There were about 15 of us in the group and once everyone was suited up (little kids in wetsuits look so adorable!) we walked down to the beach, collecting boards on the way.

Scott from Bude Surfing Experience

A brief safety chat and lesson on the sand then we were off into the waves. For the first half of the lesson I stayed with the little one in the shallow water with a body board. She was quite scared at first but, with some encouragement from Scott,, she soon got into it. I kept glancing over at the others who seemed to be having a great time. I was very jealous...

Soon enough the Mr came over and handed me his board. He looked pretty knackered, but I assumed he must be really unfit, how hard can it be?

Really, that's how hard. Just battling your way out to sea is tiring, then you've got to haul your arse up onto the board, paddle and stand up! But my-oh-my is it fun! The first time I managed to get to the half-standing stage I felt like queen of the sea. Even when you get wiped out and you're upside-down under a massive wave it's still fun. Even when you fall off it's fun. Surfing is just awesome dudes! Scott and Mike were great, giving me tips such as "Do it exactly the same this time, but twice as fast!" and "Stand up! Now!". The end of the lesson came at the perfect moment, ending on the high of standing up on both feet (even if it was only 3 seconds). We trudged happily back up the beach to hot showers and a wrestle with our wetsuits.

I suffered for the next few days with the achiest arms and chest I've ever had - I could hardly even flush a toilet! It's a really good workout and it makes you appreciate how fit all those surfer bums must be!


Bude Surfing Dog - Maggie
Bude Surfing Experience was the highlight of our whole holiday. If you haven't tried it, you should! Scott and his team are available to book for private and group lessons as well as stag and hen parties. They've taught a dog to surf, I reckon they can teach anyone!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.